Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Home Made Alfredo


I have hated store bought Alfredo sauce for a while now.  I buy it for my girls because that's their sauce of choice when we have noodles and I try to like it but when all is said and done, I just don't.

Monday night I finally decided that enough was enough!  I was making my own Alfredo!  And so I did and it was delicious.  You should make it too.  Here is the recipe:

4 T butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 - 1tsp onion powder
1/3 cup all purpose flour
salt and pepper to taste (I did about 1/2 teaspoon of both)
4 cups milk
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Melt butter in a large pot.  Saute garlic and onion powder for 2 minutes.  Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook 2 minutes.  Slowly add milk, stirring until smooth and creamy.  Stir in Parmesan and Monterey Jack cheeses; stir until cheese is melted.  bring just to a boil and then turn down heat to low.  Allow to simmer until sauce has thickened (about 5 minutes).

I adapted the above recipe from this one.  I changed quite a bit because I didn't have half and half, I thought onion chunks would be weird in it and I thought a tablespoon of salt would have killed all the other flavors.  I was really pleased with how mine turned out.  I think it would have been good to add the tomatoes and sour cream but I didn't have any.  I also chunked up 2 chicken breasts and basted them with olive oil mixed with Italian Seasoning and then grilled them on my George Formen grill.  It was all very yummy.  My kids still preferred the store bought stuff, but I will never go back.  I liked this so much better.


No comments:

Post a Comment