Thursday, February 16, 2012

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Have you ever eaten a Brussels sprout?  Well, I hadn't until a couple of weeks ago.  I joined a food co-op, in the hopes of eating more fruits and veggies (a New Year's Resolution) and on my first week, I got Brussels sprouts.  Yay!  I love the idea of being forced to try new foods.  It is so opposite of how my children feel, and reacted when they saw what we were eating.  But, I must say, Avery gave these a sideways thumbs up.  Not a straight up thumbs up, but not a thumbs down, either.  So I was pleased.  And, I now love Brussels sprouts!  In my ignorance, while I was preparing these, I picked apart an entire sprout, looking for whatever I was supposed to be eating.  And then I realized, it is like a mini cabbage.  So cute!  How can you not love these as a child?!  They were super easy to make and tasted so great.  Think of how yummy and cute these would be for your green St. Patty's Day dinner.


Roasted Brussels Sprouts
from: allrecipes.com

1 1/2 lbs. brussel sprouts
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Rinse your sprouts, trim off the hard end and remove any yellow leaves.  In a large Ziploc bag, pour your olive oil, salt and pepper and mix it with your hands to combine it well.  Add the Brussels sprouts, seal the bag tightly and shake it to coat your sprouts with the oil mixture.  Line a baking sheet with tin foil.  Dump the Brussels sprouts on the lined baking sheet and bake it for 30-45 minutes.  Stir your sprouts every 10 minutes or so, for even browning.  When they are done they will be dark brown, almost black.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment