Sunday, February 19, 2012

Red Velvet Pancakes

For Valentine's Day this year I decided we needed to try something festive.

Pancake Batter
1 1/4 cups flour
2 cups red velvet cake mix (I had about 1 1/2 cups of the dry cake mix left so if I made this again I'd probably use 1 3/4 cups to split it evenly between two batches).
1 Tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 -2 cups milk

Whisk all the ingredients for the pancake batter, but adjust the milk as necessary to your desired consistency.  Use small children if available.


My new griddle (this is the first time using it) ended up happiest at about 375, and I eventually didn't burn a few of these.  I attempted heart shapes but I'm not sure if it was noticable in the end.


Cream Cheese Frosting
4 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 to 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix the cream cheese and butter, then add powdered sugar and milk until you're satisfied. Don't add 2 cups of milk instead of 2 Tbsp, no matter how early in the morning it is. I already tried that and it didn't work out.

Add some sprinkles to the pancakes to make them into even more of a dessert.


Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment: