Saturday, May 12, 2012

Homemade Chocolate Cream Filled Cookies (the best recipe!!)


I have had a number of homemade Oreo cookies in my life.  This version is, by far, the best I have had.  I made them and shared them last week, and my friend texted me something like this: "Those were the most delicious cookies!  I seriously could have taken the whole plate into my room and eaten every one of them. And I almost did!"  I feel the same way.  I got the recipe from my friend, Jen.  the same friend who gave me this lemony deliciousness.  The cream cheese frosting in the cookies helps them to be not too sweet.  I used a melon ball scooper thing to put them onto to pan and the kids had a lot of fun helping me with that.  In lieu of Mother's Day tomorrow, maybe you should make a batch, and then be sure to hide a few extra for yourself!

Chocolate Cream Filled Cookies  


2 devil's food cake mixes
1/2 c. flour
2 Tbsp. water
4 eggs
1 c. oil (I know, I  know.  Next time I may try reducing this, or substituting apple sauce for some of it.)

Cream Cheese Filling


1/2 c. butter, softened
1 lb. powdered sugar
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. vanilla

In a medium bowl, combine the vanilla, softenend butter and softenend cream cheese and stir it until it is well combined.  Add the powdered sugar and continue to stir it until it is mixed well (no clumps).  Let it sit in your fridge for about 30 minutes, or until it gets a little firmer.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, combine the cake mixes, flour, water, eggs and oil.  Using a wooden spoon, stir it all together.  Drop by tablespoonful onto a cookie sheet.  I used a melon baller.  It worked great.  Bake them for 10 minutes, remove them from the pan and cool completely.

When the cookies are cooled, spread a generous amount of the cream cheese frosting on the back side of one cookie and stick another cookie on the other side, back side in (you get this, right?).  After I had made my little cookie sandwiches, I put them in the fridge for a little longer, so that the frosting didn't all come right out as I bit into one.  That seemed to do the trick (Maybe it was unnecessary.  I didn't test it.  Hmmm.).

No comments:

Post a Comment