Friday, December 31, 2010

Lemon Cake


This lemon cake is all lemony, sugary goodness. It is the perfect combo of sweet and tart. My friend made it one day and brought me a couple of pieces and it was amazing! After I ate it, I couldn't stop thinking about it. Within a day or two I called my friend and got the recipe. I bought lemons, just waiting for the perfect time to be able to make it for someone else. I finally had the chance for Christmas dinner and made it for my family, who were not disappointed in its lemony yumminess.
Lemon Cake
1 lemon cake mix
1 small package instant lemon pudding
1 c. oil
4 eggs
2 Tbsp. grated lemon rind (2 medium lemons)
1 1/2 c. water
Glaze
2 c. powdered sugar
juice squeezed from two lemons
3-4 drops yellow food coloring
1 Tbsp. lemon rind
Grease and flour a 9X13 pan. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, oil, eggs, 2 Tbsp. lemon rind and water and mix well for 3 minutes. Bake it according to the cake mix package directions (I think mine was at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, but just look at the box). When the cake is done, let it cool down, then take a fork and poke that thing like crazy (in a gentle way, you don't want to destroy the top, just make holes in it). Not just a few little pokes, but cover the whole thing in fork pokes. In a separate bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, lemon juice, food coloring and 1 Tbsp. lemon rind until it is smooth. It needs to be pour-able, so if you need a little more juice, squeeze another half of a lemon into it (or more if necessary). Then pour the glaze all over the top of the cake and spread it around to make sure it covers it all and gets into all of those little holes you made. You can either serve it immediately or let it chill for a few hours in the fridge.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I grew up on this cake and I was just thinking about it the other day. I LOVE it. I might have to make it soon.

    ReplyDelete