Sunday, March 28, 2010

Tangy Piggy


We have a bunch of Pork Roasts in the fridge so tonight for our "Welcome Home Daddy" dinner I made Tangy Slow Cooker Pork Roast off of Allrecipes (I linked to it in case you want to read the comments). Here is the recipe:



Ingredients

1 large onion, sliced
2 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin roast
1 cup hot water
1/4 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 dash hot pepper sauce, or to taste
Directions

Arrange onion slices evenly over the bottom of the slow cooker, and then place the roast on top of the onion. In a bowl, mix together water, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and hot sauce; pour over roast.
Cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, or on High for 3 to 4 hours.


The only thing I changed was I put a teaspoon of minced garlic (equivalent of 2 cloves) instead of the garlic powder and I didn't do any hot sauce. I also added a half bag of baby carrots to cook with the roast.

The result?

We liked it. At first something seemed off and after a while I figured out the problem. We fixed the sides like we would a regular roast: mashed potatoes and gravy made from the juices from the roast. Because the gravy was a little sweet, I think it would have been much better if we would have done it with rice instead. It feels a little Asian. We are eating the leftovers with rice tomorrow so I'll let you know if it is better. But even with the mashed potatoes and gravy it was really good. Just not a typical roast.

Was that good for my first post? I feel all nervous about it. Do you like it? Do you still like me?

2 comments:

  1. I guess. Even though you don't like carrot cake = my carrot cake = me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great first post. If only I had any of the ingredients... I'm so hungry.

    ReplyDelete