Sunday, August 28, 2011

Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles with Buttermilk Syrup


One day, I checked my mail, and there was a little surprise waiting for me from Nicole.  She sent me a waffle cookbook!  Oh, I have had fun with it.  So far, I haven't been let down on any recipes.  This one Nicole and I made together.  I was inspired to make it after attending a reunion and eating the most amazing waffles and syrup.  I say the syrup separately because it deserves it.  We used the waffle recipe from the cookbook and the syrup comes from my uncle Greg and his family.  Make sure you spray your waffle iron well, as the blueberries will stick to it.  And the syrup separates, so you'll want to stir it before you re-apply it to your waffles (multiple times-it is so good).

Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles
adapted from The Best of Waffles and Pancakes


2 c. flour (use half white, half wheat if you would like)
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. buttermilk
2 large eggs, separated
1/2 c. butter, melted
2 Tbsp. honey
blueberries


Spray your waffle iron with cooking spray.  Combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg yolks, butter and honey.  Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and mix it with a few strokes to form a lumpy batter.  In a small bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold the eggs whites into the batter.  Pour about 1/2 c. batter onto the waffle iron and drop a few blueberries on top.  And then cook it up.
Somewhere in the middle of all that, make your syrup.  It is extremely fast to make. (I know this pictures looks like something home brewed, but it also shows how frothy it gets.  Mmmm.)


Delicious, Amazing Buttermilk Syrup (I just made that name up)
by: Uncle Greg and Aunt Julie


1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda


In a saucepan over medium high heat, melt the butter and sugar, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil.  Add the buttermilk and return it to a boil.  Remove it from the heat and wait one minute.  I don't know why this step of waiting one minute is important, but I haven't dared skip it for fear that my yummy syrup wouldn't come out as frothy and delicious as it should.  So just obey it.  Then stir in the vanilla and baking soda and serve it immediately.    

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing! I've bookmarked your recipe as my favorite waffle recipe. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete