Saturday, March 12, 2011

Carrot Cake Waffles


Oh man, is this an awesome recipe! I love love love waffles, and Carolyn and I have made a goal to try out a different waffle recipes and post them here to find our favorites. This one was so much fun, I couldn't resist making it. I found the recipe last night while perusing through food blogs, as I often do, and as Matt slept on the floor. I wasn't tired, so when I found this recipe I couldn't wait to make it until morning. I whipped it up and had it almost all ready for breakfast in the morning. What a fun way to start out our weekend.

I found this recipe and adapted it from one of my new favorite food blogs, Willow Bird Baking.



Carrot Cake Waffles

Waffle Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1 3/4 cups buttermilk* or 1 1/2 cups sour cream or plain yogurt thinned with 1/4 cup milk
2 eggs, separated
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick butter)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup raisins (if desired. I chose to leave them out- yuck.)
1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
1 1/2 cup finely grated carrots
Cooking spray for waffle iron

Maple Nut Cream Cheese Spread Ingredients:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3-4 tablespoons maple syrup
1/8 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Directions:
1. **Melt butter and set aside to cool.


2. Combine the flour, salt, sugar, baking soda, and spices.

3. Mix together the buttermilk (or buttermilk substitute) and the egg yolks. Stir in the butter and vanilla. Spray the waffle iron well and preheat it. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry.

4. Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl with a whisk or electric mixer until they hold soft peaks. Stir them gently into the batter. Add carrots and nuts (and raisins if desired). Stir gently to combine.

5. Spoon batter in like regular waffle and cook.

6. To make Maple Cream Cheese spread, combine nuts, syrup, and cream cheese and mix well. Serve waffles immediately with a dollop of Maple Cream Cheese spread and a drizzle of syrup.

Notes:
* The buttermilk can be substituted with 1 1/4 cups of milk at room temperature, mixed with two tablespoons white vinegar, left to clabber for 10 minutes (I won’t write the definition for clabber here, it doesn’t sound appetizingJ).
** If you are more motivated than me, you can try “blooming” the spices in butter which adds flavor: Heat 4 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium heat until melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Continue to cook, swirling pan constantly, until butter is light brown and has faint nutty aroma, 2 to 4 minutes. Add spices and continue to cook, stirring constantly, 15 seconds. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.



1 comment:

  1. Oh! That looks sooo yummy! That butter is just calling my name!

    ReplyDelete