Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sweet Chicken Curry



I was looking for a new curry recipe tonight and the ones that sounded good were all sweet curries. I must be needing sugar in my system (always). I combined what sounded good in a couple of them and ended up with a sweet, mild, yellow curry that tasted great. We love curry around our house. Even my children will eat curry. When we were still in school we had a neighbor from Nepal and we still love to reminisce about her yummy food and the way they ate the food with their hands. Tonight Ryan ate this in the true Nepalese style.
Sweet Chicken Curry
by Carolyn

2 Tbsp butter
1 can pineapple tidbits, drained
1 onion chopped
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
3 Tbsp. curry powder
4 Tbsp. flour
3 chicken breasts
14 oz. can of chicken broth
1 can of coconut milk
2 Tbsp. sugar
4 potatoes
salt and pepper to taste

Cut your chicken breasts into strips and your potatoes into chunks and set them aside (separately). In a large skillet, melt the butter and saute the onion, garlic and pineapple over medium high heat. I added my garlic the last couple of minutes because I am always burning my garlic. And that stinks. Literally. Add your curry powder and cook it for one minute. Then add your flour and cook that for one minute. Throw the chicken in (not literally) and cook it with the curry mixture until no pink remains. Stir in the chicken broth and coconut milk until it is well combined. Add the sugar, salt and pepper and potatoes and let it simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Serve it over rice.
This picture may be confusing because, as you can see, there are apple chunks in it. One of the recipes that I adapted this from called for apples, which I used, and one called for pineapple, which I also used. The apple gave no flavor at all, but the pineapple was great, so I'm saving all of you the trouble of cutting up the apple and instead I am putting pineapple only in the recipe. Your welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment