Sunday, August 22, 2010

Summertime Squash and Potatoes


Do you have a TON of these? Well, I do, thanks to my parents. My own garden is not a happy one this year, but if yours is, and you need to get rid of some of these, a very memorable summertime meal when I was growing up was Dad's Squash and Potatoes. He made it a lot when I lived at home and I know he still makes it (I saw the leftovers in the fridge the last time I was there). He has passed on his love of doctored up, buttered up garden veggies to me, so I thought I'd pass it on to you. And if you are a sibling, maybe this will remind you of nice summer nights at Home.
Squash and Potatoes
one large crookneck squash (zucchini would work as well, maybe others would, too)
2-3 potatoes
1 onion
4 Tbsp butter or margarine
salt and pepper to taste
Wash and cut up the squash, potatoes and onions into thin slices (maybe a quarter of an inch?). Try to get them all the same so they will cook equally.
In a large frying pan, melt the butter. Add veggie slices and salt and pepper. Now here is a tip on the salt and pepper. I didn't measure, but I added A LOT of both. In fact, I had three year old Soux-Chef Ryan helping me add the pepper and I got a little worried that he added way too much. But no, it was perfect. And it really seemed like too much pepper. By "a lot" I mean that pretty much your veggies will taste like butter, salt, pepper and a hint of vegetables by the time you are through. Mmmm.
Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through. I served mine with cut up chicken in a mesquite spice with bread and homemade apricot jam. I love summer nights!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I made this the other night but I think I put a little too much butter in mine. It tasted so good though! I'm so excited Fall is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We make this all the time. It's one of my favorites and always reminds me of dad. I love it.

    ReplyDelete