Friday, August 6, 2010

Cowboy Cookies



I got this recipe is from the Sisters Cafe, which I have gotten many recipes from, because I was searching for a new cookie to try. I was feeling ambitious and so I split the dough into four bowls and added different chips and nuts to see what I liked best. I'm posting these cookies because they came out so plump and soft! They came out perfect and I think some of it had to do with the fact that you refrigerate them for a couple hours before you bake them. Try them!

Cowboys Cookies


2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans or shredded coconut(opt.)

Directions:
In a large bowl stir together the oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.

In the bowl of your mixer blend the butter and sugars until smooth, ab0ut 2 minutes. Add the eggs and continue to beat until fluffy, about 1 1/2 minutes. Blend in vanilla

Using a wooden spoon, stir in dry mixture, half at a time. MIx in chocolate chips and nuts. Refrigerate dough for at least 1-2 hours.

Heat oven to 350. Spray baking sheet.

Using a scant 1/4 cup per cookie shape dough into balls and slightly flatten. Place about 2 inches apart.

Bake for 12-14 minutes. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to cool completly.

**To change it up--**

Omit the chocolate chips,cinnamon and nuts and add:
2 cup white chocolate chips (I didn't have white chocolate chips so I tried butterscotch chips which were surprisingly good:)
1 cup dried sweetened cranberries


I did four variations of the ingredients (chocolate chip, chocolate chip and pecans, butterscotch, butterscotch and cranberries) and while I liked them all, I still love just a basic chocolate chip cookie:)


1 comment: