Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream



I thought it would be funny to put this recipe in right now, with all the other coconut food I have been adding recently. I actually used my leftover coconut milk after making the Thai Coconut Rice. I loved the hint of coconut that the ice cream had. It would be especially yummy with some sliced almonds on top (kind of like an Almond Joy). I used the recipe for chocolate ice cream that came with my Cuisinart ice cream maker and tweaked it just a bit.

Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream
1 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2/3 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 c. whole milk
3 1/4 c. heavy cream
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1/2 - 3/4 c. coconut milk
Stir together the cocoa powder and sugars. Add the whole milk and mix with a hand mixer on low speed until the cocoa and sugars dissolve, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla, then stir in the coconut milk. If not freezing immediately, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Pour into your ice cream maker and mix until the ice cream has a soft creamy texture.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Carolyn, that looks wonderful! You know I'll be trying that soon! I just made that rice last night and love it. I think almonds would be yummy and even shredded coconut as well. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete