Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sticky Coconut Chicken



If you don't like coconut, you probably haven't been too pleased with the recent recipes I have been adding. Apparently I am loving all things coconut right now. This recipe actually is supposed to have the chicken grilled, but my little grill wouldn't support the amount of chicken we were making. Instead, I fried the chicken on the stove and served it with rice. It got rave reviews this way, but I am sure it would be excellent grilled, too.

Sticky Coconut Chicken

4 boneless chicken breasts
1 c. canned coconut milk
1/2 Tbsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1 tsp. chili powder

Glaze
3/4 c. rice vinegar
1/2 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. chili powder
Marinate chicken in coconut milk, ginger, pepper and red pepper flakes for at least an hour. I did mine all day, and the chicken was very tender and flavorful. Put a small amount of oil in your frying pan and fry the chicken until no pink remains. While mine was cooking, I had some of the marinade in with the chicken, but before I glazed it (see next step) I poured most of the marinade out.

While chicken is cooking, combine rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce and red pepper flakes in a medium saucepan and stir over medium-high heat, until mixture is reduced and thickened, about 8-10 minutes.
When it really begins to thicken, take it off the heat and immediately glaze it on your cooked chicken (it will firm up pretty fast once it is off the heat).

Enjoy!
*Note: The original recipe calls for red pepper flakes in place of the chili powder. I have never used the red pepper flakes until the last time I made it. It adds A LOT of kick to this dish. If you like a lot of spice and a little sweet, use red pepper flakes. If you like a little spice and a lot of sweet, use chili powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment