Sunday, June 27, 2010

Favorite Oatmeal Cookies



Of all the oatmeal cookies out there, these are my favorite. The recipe is from my mother-in-law and these are delicious eaten cooked or raw. We generally prefer raw. Are you hyperventilating about the raw eggs? Well, don't. I'm pretty sure that when eggs are mixed into dough and then frozen and then consumed, that it alters their chemical make-up and no salmonella bacteria is able to penetrate the egg cells. Umm, or something like that. Okay, I made that up.

Now here is a little secret of mine for most of my recipes involving chocolate chips: multiple chocolate flavors.
I like to add at least semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips and sometimes, if I'm feeling a little crazy, white chocolate chips, too! The more the better! I also always lessen the sugar that it calls for by at least 1/4 cup, sometimes more. Go ahead and try it. You can't tell! (but do lessen the salt a little, too).
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 c. shortening
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3 c. oatmeal (quick is best)
chocolate chips.
Cream together the shortening and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Add flour, soda, salt and stir until well combined. Mix in oatmeal and then add chocolate chips. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
To freeze dough (and eat later, straight out of the freezer) roll it in wax paper in a log-like fashion.
When you want to devour some dough, just pull that dough log out of the freezer and cut a slice off. This is a good way to have cookie dough for an ice cream shake, too. Mmm, cookie dough.
P.S. Why would this picture be turned on its side and how do I fix that? Come on, smart computer family members! Solve this for me!

2 comments:

  1. Carolyn, those look delicious, just like my momma used to make! Growing up I always made either brownies or cookies on Sunday nights and now I just got a hankerin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why it's turned sideways. Mine did that too on one of them so I just chose another picture. My font's all screwy in one of my posts. Those look so good though!

    ReplyDelete