Thursday, May 20, 2010

Easy Homemade Macaroni and Cheese


This is a recipe that I got originally from Dustin's aunt Julia, which I have now adapted enough to take my own credit for, I think. Dustin loves homemade mac-n-cheese, but I find that it tends to be greasy. This recipe isn't greasy and is easier than a "real" homemade version because of one special ingredient:

Ragu Cheese Sauce (no chubby baby required).
Let me start off with an apology. Like most things I cook, I cook this to taste, which means I don't really know exactly how much of each ingredient I add. For those of you who feel lost and scared if you don't measure things exactly (mom), I will give you approximate amounts of the ingredients. But if I were you, I would give it a little taste now and then to see if it is what you like. I have also used Velveeta cheese, very thinned out and it works well, too. For the topping, I either use crushed up cornflakes, bread crumbs (store bought) or any kind of crunchy crackery thing. My cheese ended up a little salty this time, so I went with cornflakes, rather than anything that would add more salt (like crackers or store bought bread crumbs).

Lazy Homemade Mac-N-Cheese
Ragu Cheese Sauce
1/2 tsp. onion powder
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 to 2 cups milk
parsley flakes (just a little, for color)
ham-cut into chunks
24 oz. macaroni noodles
crushed cornflakes or other topping

Cook macaroni noodles according to package directions. While the noodles are cooking, pour Ragu Sauce in a medium sauce pan and heat over medium low heat. Add milk and stir well (I add enough milk to thin it out and lighten the cheese flavor). Add onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
When noodles are cooked, drain and pour into a 9X13 pan. Add cut up ham and parsley flakes to the sauce and pour over noodles. Spread evenly in the pan. Sprinkle crushed up cornflakes over the top. Bake for 20 minutes in 375 degree oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment