Sunday, May 2, 2010

Coconut Banana Bread with Lime Glaze




I saw this recipe while browsing a food blog I recently discovered: Our Best Bites. One of the authors and her husband were in Dustin's Horticulture program at BYU. The recipes on this blog all look amazing. I have wanted to make everything I see!

I tried this banana bread recipe tonight. I am not a total lover of banana bread. It's ok, but not my favorite. This one looked just enough different that it was enticing to me. And I wasn't disappointed! The smell of this cooking was divine. The lime added just a little, tangy yumminess. And it was really pretty to look at. I used sour cream instead of yogurt, milk instead of apple juice and I reduced the sugar just a little, like maybe by 1/4 cup (I always do).

Coconut Banana Bread with Lime Glaze

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2 c. flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. real butter, softened
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. mashed, ripe banana (about 4 bananas)
1/4 c. sour cream or plain yogurt
3 Tbsp. apple juice or milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. coconut

Topping: 2 Tbsp coconut
Glaze: 1/2 c. powdered sugar whisked with 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice

Combine flour, baking soda and salt and set aside. In a large mixing bowl mix sugar and butter until well combined. Add eggs and beat well. Add bananas, sour cream or yogurt, apple juice or milk and vanilla and beat until well blended. Stir in 1/2 c. coconut.

Pour into a greased 9X5" loaf pan and sprinkle the top with 2 Tbsp. coconut. Bake for 1 hour. Note: Check after 40 minutes and if top looks brown and coconut is toasting, cover with tin foil and bake for the remaining time.

When done, let cool for 10 minutes and then remove bread from the pan. Prepare glaze by whisking powdered sugar and lime juice and then drizzle over the top of the bread. Let cool an additional 15 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh! I wish I had time to bake soon. I won't be cooking for a little while I fear. But this is on my list.

    ReplyDelete