Thursday, April 8, 2010

Berry Lemon Pancakes



So, because I am obsessed with breakfast foods, hopefully not more than any of you... Carolyn, and I found a blog that shares my love of breakfast foods, and then goes above and beyond. I found this one and tried it out on the family while they were here. We decided that there were things to be done that could perfect this recipe, so I've added that into the recipe.



Berry Lemon Pancakes

adapted from Joy the Baker.

8-10 pancakes, enough for two (I doubled this and it was perfect for 6 adults)

Ingredients:

1 egg

1 cup flour

1 Tablespoon sugar

zest of 1 lemon

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup buttermilk

2 Tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly

1 cup fresh blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries (we used frozen, slightly thawed, and it worked well too)

*We felt that if the berries were chopped or halved then they would cook a little better.

Directions:

In a small bowl rub the lemon zest into the granulated sugar until pale yellow and fragrant.

In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk and butter. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir until just combined. The batter may be a bit lumpy. That’s better than overmixing the batter. Fold in the berries with a few strokes. Not much stirring necessary.

(For this next part I just cooked mine like normal on a heated griddle, no butter.) Heat a griddle pan or a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add a teaspoon of oil or a dab of butter and heat through. Add 2 heaping tablespoons of batter to the pan. Heat until bubbles form and start to pop. Carefully flip over and cook through. Place cooked pancakes on an oven proof plate and let rest in a 200 degree F oven while you fry the rest of the pancakes.

Top pancakes with maple syrup or mascarpone sweetened with a dash of powdered sugar and the juice of one Meyer lemon.


3 comments:

  1. I'm making these tomorrow (if I remember to buy a lemon). I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these tonight. They were delicious! I used a fresh strawberry and a few frozen ones. I also tried a couple with strawberry jam mixed in. And I made some without any berries at all. My favorite were those with the actual berries. I just added a few on the pancake while they were cooking, rather than mixing them in with the batter (because my kids didn't want any berries). As Ryan would say, "Berry Lummy."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn, you've been holding out on me! How fun to have a blog with your sisters. I can't wait to see what ya'll cook up.

    ReplyDelete