Sunday, May 8, 2011

Bacon Waffles





Okay, I know we have posted a lot of breakfast foods lately, but I think breakfast is the best meal of the day and should be eaten at all times of the day. (This is coming from a girl who eats cold cereal for dessert.)

I haven't posted in a long time because we lost our camera while on a trip to Costa Rica. We finally got a new camera this week, so I took the opportunity to snap a picture of my Mothers Day waffles.



These waffles aren't my typical, try-a-new-and-exciting-recipe recipe, these are waffles we eat regularly around here. I like to change things up a lot with our meals, so I don't make the same meals over and over again very often. However, we eat these waffles almost weekly.

Matt's family grew up on "bacon waffles", which I thought was a strange idea when he told me about them, but have since come to realize how amazing bacon waffles really are. I am not a huge fan of "lots of MEAT" like my husband is, I prefer sweeter breakfasts (notice the syrup glistening on those pancakes). This recipe is perfect for both of us. Somehow, bacon inside your waffles tastes so much better than bacon next to your waffles; my husband agrees.

Bacon Waffles

Directions:

To make Bacon Waffles, fry up some bacon like normal and pat dry with a paper towel. Meanwhile, stir up your favorite basic waffle recipe (our favorite is below) and preheat your waffle iron.

Rip bacon strips in half and lay2 or 3 halves on the waffle iron and pour a scoop of batter over the bacon. It takes a little less than normal because of the bacon so don't overfill it. Close the lid and wait for the bacon to be encased in a soft, yet crispy golden brown waffle.

Here is the recipe for our favorite waffles that house the crispy bacon. They are light and golden brown and delicious. I got it out of my Stake cook book from Enoch, Utah (my hometown). Thanks Joan Anderson.

Waffles

Ingredients:
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
1 3/4 c. milk
2 eggs, beaten until light
1/3 c. melted shortening or oil

Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the milk gradually. Add the beaten eggs and the melted shortening. Stir quickly until dry ingredients are moistened. Batter will be slightly lumpy. Approximately 1 c. of batter makes a full size waffle.


Do you see the bacon peeking through?

I could probably eat these everyday.

1 comment:

  1. I love them to, since Matt introduced them to our family. But most of the time I'm too lazy to actually cook bacon with my waffles.

    ReplyDelete