Sunday, February 1, 2015

Coconut Cake

My sisters and I made this dessert one night when Nicole was in town.  As I am obsessed with all things coconut right now, it sounded delicious.  It was delicious.  However, there are a few changes that I will make when I make it again someday.  And I am going to put them into the recipe. One thing is that the original recipe calls for almond extract, but I thought it overpowered the coconut flavor.  So I say, leave it out! Or even add some coconut extract.  Also, I made mine in a bundt cake pan, but it would be so yummy as a layered cake, with whipping cream in between each layer.  Mmmm.  

Coconut Cake
adapted from: allrecipes.com

3 c. cake flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. butter, softened
2 c. white sugar
4 eggs
1 c. coconut milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. coconut extract (optional)
1/2 c. shredded coconut
fresh whipping cream for topping

In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.  In another bowl, mix the butter and sugar until fluffy.  Stir in the eggs, one at a time.  Alternate stirring in the flour mixture and the coconut milk until it is all added and well combined.  Stir in the vanilla, coconut extract and shredded coconut.  Pour your batter into a greased and floured cake pan and bake it at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  After it has cooled, serve it with fresh whipped cream.   

No comments:

Post a Comment