Sunday, October 14, 2012

Quinoa Sloppy Joes


One day I bought a bag of quinoa because Monica told me that it is good for me and because I am easily persuaded.  In a six month period, I used it once, cooked it incorrectly which made it a little hard, and hadn't used it since.  But then one day, I went to make sloppy joes for dinner, and only had a half pound of ground beef.  I had Monica's voice ringing in my ears about how she uses quinoa in place of meat in enchiladas, so I decided to try it.  I used half ground beef and half quinoa and totally tricked my kids!  I followed the directions on the back of the bag very carefully, so my quinoa cooked correctly, which made all the difference on my opinion of it (amazing how following directions makes a difference!).  I am happy cooking with it because it is so good for you.  Also, I am always looking for ways to eat less meat.  In the end, this recipe is going to be more of a tip than an actual recipe.  

Quinoa Sloppy Joes
by: Carolyn (and Monica's influence :)

1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 c. quinoa
1 packet (or can) of your favorite sloppy joe seasoning
hamburger buns

Cook the quinoa according to the package directions.  In a large skillet over medium heat, brown your ground beef.  When the beef is cooked through, add the sloppy joe seasoning and whatever else it requires (for example, mine needs a can of tomato sauce).  Add the cooked quinoa and mix it all together.  Let it simmer for 10 minutes.  Serve over toasted hamburger buns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment