Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sweet Potato Fries







If I could give you one recipe, and one recipe only, it would probably be this one. I. love. these. fries. I could eat them every day (not just every week like I pretty much do now). They are delicious, sweet with a little spicy, and highly addictive. When I make these, I usually eat them with a salad so that I can have as many of them as I want, guilt-free. The original recipe gave suggestions of different spices to try and I chose this combination. I could not believe how much I loved them.

Sweet Potato Fries
(Adapted from Simply Recipes)
INGREDIENTS
2 large sweet potatoes
3 tbsp. olive or other vegetable oil
3-4 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1-2 tsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
Or if you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, like me, use (I’m not exact with these):
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger




DIRECTIONS
1 Preheat oven to 450°F. (For more crispiness, preheat your oven to 500°F.)
2 Peel the sweet potatoes and cut off the ends. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and then, if they are very long, in half crosswise. Cut each piece into wedges. Alternately, you can slice the peeled sweet potato into disks either with a mandoline or a sharp knife.
3 Put the sweet potatoes into a large bowl and add the oil. Mix well to combine. Sprinkle with salt, sugar and spices. Mix well so all pieces are coated with oil and spices.


4 Lay a wire cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet. (This helps the fries cook evenly so there’s no need to flip half way through baking. It also helps the extra oil drip off so they’re not too greasy.)Spread the sweet potatoes out in a single layer on the cooling rack.
5 Bake for a total of 20-25 minutes, or until they are well browned. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment