Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mango Bell Pepper Chicken

One night I visited a couple who live near my house and when I walked in, I smelled the yummiest, sweet/spicey smell permeating from her kitchen.  It was mangoes.  And peppers.  Does anyone else LOVE mangoes?  I asked for the recipe, and she gave.  And it was very yummy and mango-y and also a little peppery, too!  I improvised a little for what I had, so here is what I ended up with.


Mango Bell Pepper Chicken
adapted from a cute girl in my ward


2 tsp. olive oil
1 onion, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
pinch chili powder
2 small mangoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 Tbsp. vinegar
4-5 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. minced, fresh cilantro (I didn't add this, but I bet it would add a lot)
4 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch squares
1/2 c. cornstarch
oil


In a large skillet, heat the oil and cook the onion and bell pepper 5-7 minutes. Doesn't that look pretty?
Stir in the garlic, allspice and chili powder and cook for 30 seconds.  Why 30 and not 35, or even 37, I don't know.  Just obey it.  Stir in the mango, vinegar, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce and cook it until the mango is soft-about 2 minutes.  Don't over cook your mango here.  I did and it made it a little mushy.  Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cilantro.  Season with salt and pepper. 

While your sauce is cooking, In a large ziplock bag, put chicken and 1/2 cup cornstarch and coat the chicken evenly.  Fry it in a large frying pan with a little oil until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle. Pour the sauce over the chicken and cook it for a couple of minutes (as you can see, I didn't do that, but I should have).  Serve it over rice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment