Sunday, October 29, 2023

Buttermilk Syrup




I've had this recipe posted along with my blueberry buttermilk waffles recipe, and my mom recently asked me to give it its own post so that she could find it easier.  I got this recipe from my aunt Julie, but since eating it for the first time at a family reunion, I have seen it all over the place!  You can get creative with this and try new things to change it up.  I have a friend who adds cinnamon to her recipe and it is delicious.  You can also use maple flavoring instead of vanilla extract.  I'm sure there are tons of other variations that you could try and it will still be amazing!  I am posting this recipe with the changes that I made and use all the time now--less butter and less baking soda (personal preference).  I'll add notes next to the ingredients, if you want to do it the high fat, extra frothy way.  


Buttermilk Syrup
by: Uncle Greg and Aunt Julie

1/4 c. butter (1/2 c. in the original)
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. buttermilk (I use 3/4 c. regular milk most of the time and it still tastes great!)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. baking soda (1 tsp. in the original)

In a saucepan over medium high heat, melt the butter and sugar, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil.  Add the milk (or buttermilk) and return it to a boil.  Remove it from the heat and wait one minute.  I don't know why this step of waiting one minute is important, but I haven't dared skip it for fear that my yummy syrup wouldn't come out as frothy and delicious as it should.  So just obey it.  Then stir in the vanilla and baking soda and serve it immediately.    

No comments:

Post a Comment