Sunday, November 8, 2020

Our Favorite Quinoa and Ground Beef Sloppy Joes

 


This is our family's favorite sloppy joe recipe.  Full disclosure: I don't have an actual recipe.  I make it to taste every time.  But, I can never remember exactly what I add and I always end up googling "Sloppy Joe Recipe" so I can see a general idea of what to add.  So, this time I paid attention to what I added so that I can put the recipe on here and find it for next time!


Our Favorite Quinoa Sloppy Joe Recipe                                                                         
by: Carolyn

1/2 or 1 pound ground beef
1/2 c. quinoa
ketchup (if I were to guess, I would say close to a cup of ketchup)
about 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard (or regular)
onion powder
garlic powder
salt
pepper
about 3 dashes of liquid smoke (this is to taste-add a little less than this and then add more if needed)
about 1 c. water

Cook your quinoa according to package directions (I cook mine in double the water in my rice cooker).  In a large frying pan, brown your ground beef over medium heat.  Drain the grease and add your cooked quinoa to the pan.  Add the ketchup, mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and liquid smoke and stir it well.  Taste it!!  If it doesn't have enough flavor, add more garlic, onion or salt.  Taste it again!! Add more of what you feel like it might need.  Repeat as needed!  Stir it again.  Add the water and stir it well.  Simmer it over medium low heat until you are ready to eat it.  (And maybe taste it one more time to see if needs anything else!).  Serve on a hamburger bun (or hotdog bun, as you see in my picture) with sliced cheddar cheese. 



No comments:

Post a Comment